Saturday 13 June 2009

GREEN HAIR MONSTER

I have a very simple "KISS beauty" regime which is basically, keep it simple and short.
With the rascals out of the way this morning, I decided to treat my crowning glory to adwengo. Adwengo is unrefined palm kernel oil in my native language. I love the nutty caramel oil which is fantastic in hair products.
Here is the recipe I made up:
45g melted unrefined palm kernel oil (PKO)
25g Jamaican Black castor oil (JBCO)
12g fresh root ginger
5g fresh garlic
2g nettles
1 medium egg yolk - I was in a hurry to separate this that I forgot to weigh it :(

1. Blend the garlic and ginger together
2. Add the nettle - blend
3. Add the JBCO - blend
4. Add the PKO - blend
5. Add the egg yolk - blend till smooth


Love your hair

The texture was just how I wanted it - not too thick, not too runny.
I used my fingers to scoop this concoction and massaged it onto my dry afro hair (not pre-washed) making sure that each strand as well as my scalp was covered.

I used a shower cap to help retain heat on the scalp whilst I went about my housework. The concoction was left on the hair for 1 hour. However, for the last 15 minutes, I decided to have a facial steam (as I have been nursing a nasty cold). I rinsed the concoction out before cleansing the hair with rhassoul shampoo bar. I did not need to apply any conditioner or any butter afterwards.

As with most afro nappturals, I have very thick hair but "suffer" the shrunken afro after wash. My hair measures 5½" when stretched and this was ideal amount for me.


Nice and thick hair
Try it and let me know how you get on with it. This recipe is ideal for all types of hair. The ginger tingles the scalp without any burning sensation but everyone's scalp is different.

You can add essential oils to the mix but I don't mind the scent of this mixture.

11 comments:

  1. I am sooo trying this recipe tomorrow :)
    I have all the ingredients thanks to you :)
    thank you for sharing and your hair is beautiful :) It is nice to see a glimpse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amina. Let me know how you get on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing it and the palm oil smells soo good!
    It is true that the ginger gives a tingling effect...I ended up adding the egg instead of eating! I'll retry in 2 weeks with the garlic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of the PKO and together with cocoa butter and shea - wow! We could make an omelette - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh, thanks for the recipe! I have the same texture of hair. I actualyl di a second big chop of my natural hair a month ago because I was sick of the tangles. I would get knots in the middle of my strand (it was over 10" long.) But I knew I had to start fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem.. Let me know how you get on with the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...I kissed my hair as suggested! "Well it was more of a long passionate kiss!" And it sure needed it since giving birth to my baby girl it's been neglected!

    I had my friend round to help! She applied the mixture to each strand with a brush and worked it in! I then sat under a dryer for 20 mins to generate heat! She then rinsed it out and washed with the rhassoul soap twice! She then spent hour’s rope twisting it!

    “It was HEAVEN!” My hair feels great and I feel great!

    Thanks for sharing this recipe Akua! I’ll be kissing my hair on a regular basis from now on and I look forward to more of your concoctions!

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pleasure Dionne,

    I am glad that your hair feels great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it really great having use your concoction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. do you think that this is for any hair type or just afro?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The recipe is for all hair types :)

    ReplyDelete