Friday, 25 June 2010


As a Ghanaian - born & educated in Ghana, I have experienced poverty. I even remember the "not so fashionable Rawlings' chain". However, nothing prepared me for what I recently witnessed whilst working in Gumu in Northern Ghana. I have set up a page to appeal for donations on behalf of this warm loving community and hope that you can help.

Friday, 18 June 2010


It has been hard work trying to get things done under the intense Ghanaian sun. I was hoping to be reporting from the pool side sipping a chilled glass of Amarula but alas, it is almost midnight in Accra, I am wearing socks as the 'quitoes make fun of my sunripe ankles and I have a cold cup of strong tea to keep be hydrated.
My stay in Ghana is almost over and it has been work, work and keep working. I now need a holiday!!!
Anyway, the purpose of this trip has been 90% fulfilled - who knows, I might return in time to work on the remaining 10% before the 7 year old road works in Accra are completed!!!

The work schedule started with the inauguration of a day after my arrival. I know I look terrified in the photo - I was tired and the microphone was also playing up.
Soon after the inauguration, I traveled North where I was based for 5 working days working at Gumu.
I had to inspect a soap mould soon after my arrival. At least I know it is from recycled metal - what a bonus.
I worked with the lovely ladies and men including Madam Samata Iddi who was sooooo funny and very very hardworking. Even though there was the language barrier {I don't speak Dagbani and most of the women do not speak English nor my local dialect, Twi}, we had 1 thing in common which was to educate ourselves through empowerment.
They were pleased to learn that I had managed to pay their annual Health Insurance fees.
I saw myself clad in this beautiful blue stripped fabric with gold thread after the inauguration of the co-op on Friday 11th June 2010. This was a lovely unexpected gift from the co-op.
I was invited to another village after the inauguration to visit another co-op. We hope to also adopt this co-op which is currently made up of 66 women.
I had planned on visiting cocoa farmers but I soon realised that I was few weeks late as they had harvested the crops. I managed to sneak onto a farm though on Wednesday on my return from Kumasi - my birthplace. Sorry for the blurred image, the battery was nearing death and we were also scarred of snakes that lurk beneath the cocoa trees.
Today was full of meetings so I decided to start the day harvesting some moringa seeds