Friday 18 June 2010

NO REST FOR THE WICKED

It has been hard work trying to get things done under the intense Ghanaian sun. I was hoping to be reporting from the pool side sipping a chilled glass of Amarula but alas, it is almost midnight in Accra, I am wearing socks as the 'quitoes make fun of my sunripe ankles and I have a cold cup of strong tea to keep be hydrated.
My stay in Ghana is almost over and it has been work, work and keep working. I now need a holiday!!!
Anyway, the purpose of this trip has been 90% fulfilled - who knows, I might return in time to work on the remaining 10% before the 7 year old road works in Accra are completed!!!

The work schedule started with the inauguration of OhanaPassion.org a day after my arrival. I know I look terrified in the photo - I was tired and the microphone was also playing up.
Soon after the inauguration, I traveled North where I was based for 5 working days working at Gumu.
I had to inspect a soap mould soon after my arrival. At least I know it is from recycled metal - what a bonus.
I worked with the lovely ladies and men including Madam Samata Iddi who was sooooo funny and very very hardworking. Even though there was the language barrier {I don't speak Dagbani and most of the women do not speak English nor my local dialect, Twi}, we had 1 thing in common which was to educate ourselves through empowerment.
They were pleased to learn that I had managed to pay their annual Health Insurance fees.
I saw myself clad in this beautiful blue stripped fabric with gold thread after the inauguration of the co-op on Friday 11th June 2010. This was a lovely unexpected gift from the co-op.
I was invited to another village after the inauguration to visit another co-op. We hope to also adopt this co-op which is currently made up of 66 women.
I had planned on visiting cocoa farmers but I soon realised that I was few weeks late as they had harvested the crops. I managed to sneak onto a farm though on Wednesday on my return from Kumasi - my birthplace. Sorry for the blurred image, the battery was nearing death and we were also scarred of snakes that lurk beneath the cocoa trees.
Today was full of meetings so I decided to start the day harvesting some moringa seeds

5 comments:

  1. Awesome work, I am so proud of the awesome work you have accomplished and how you empower women and men. And I love the dress you have on in your last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to read about your stay!!! You are doing an amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I have just started following your blog and I really like it. Would you be able to possibly increase the font size of your posts? I don't have reading glasses yet... but maybe I need them? Nice work. You must feel so good about what you do. xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the lovely comments.

    @Jennifer, I will try and increase the font size ;)

    ReplyDelete